Achilen just moved to Spain last year. She was taking a chance on a different life abroad leaving behind an already successful life in the Philippines. She was a lawyer, a business consultant, and a friend. At her age, she has achieved more than what her peers are expected to have, myself included. But other than the accolades, she was praised for always making herself available for others.
She would constantly tell me to have backup plans with my career, to be more financially stable, and to live fearless of the future. In fact, I officially started the business I've been planning on for so long all because of her help. I have no business background and the business world looks scary from the outside. But, Achilen reassured me over and over again that I just had to take the first step and we'll figure out the rest along the way.
And just as I was about to launch this venture, that's when she left all of us. She was just having an ordinary dinner with her boyfriend and with another friend. Hours later, she started complaining of stomach pains. They rushed her to the emergency room and without warning that was the last time they saw her breathing. She left all of us hanging. All of us.
April 1st
Shi was a friend of a friend. Although we only had a few encounters, she was definitely one of the kindest people I met. Shi got pregnant right after graduating college. Her husband works a meager job. Then another child came. Shi worked jobs providing them with just enough to survive before the next salary day comes. Then she worked abroad. However, fate was not on her side that she got depressed and had to go back to the Philippines.
And on April Fool's day, we got a message that Shi passed away. That must be a bad joke, but it wasn't. She suffered from a central nervous breakdown. She had a prolonged stress that it took a toll on her health. It was unimaginable. Stress killed her. Her youngest child a 2-year old, will grow up only having blurry memories of her mom. Shi lived every day disregarding her own well-being for the sake of her family, of her kids. I guess that's what mothers are. She was strong and selfless.
April 30th
Amel was a childhood friend. But we all called him "Kuya" as he was like a big brother to all of us. He was kind, smart, talented, and funny. Perhaps one of the fondest memories I have of him was during Christmas season. I and other friends would go house to house around the neighborhood and sing Christmas carols. We'd get more money than the other kids because Kuya had a nice voice and would sing solo. We'd divide among ourselves what little earnings we got and we were the happiest. Those were the days when we were all young and innocent and dreams were meant for sleeping.
Then we all grew up and life led us in different directions. He unfortunately chose a path we all didn't expect. He involved himself in dangerous situations. He moved to a different city and I haven't heard of him since then. Then one day my mom sent me a photo of him. He was unrecognizable. He was bedridden and was extremely thin like skin and bones. And just days after that, he passed away.
🌿🌿🌿
Three friends chose different paths yet they all met the same fate. So, who lived well? Who lived fully? Were they satisfied with the life they lived? And what mattered to them? And what reward awaits after their deaths? And those they have left behind, who among them is in greater pain? Who will suffer more from the loss?
I don't fear death. But I fear not living the life I ought to live. So every waking day is a restart, a reset, a renewal of my commitment to live with no regrets. I want to love and live fully not for myself but for God and for those around me. And I will strive to keep thanking God for every breath I take. I will strive not to lose a grateful heart.
And every time I question God for taking my friends away too soon, I remind myself of these verses.
ISAIAH 55:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Comments
Post a Comment